Unique Ways To Manage Motion Sickness
Motion sickness can be an overwhelming and disturbing experience that can make you detest the idea of traveling long distances to your favorite places. About 1 in 3 persons are prone to motion sickness with women and children more likely to experience it.
What is Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness is a common and often unpleasant condition that occurs when the body experiences conflicting signals between the eyes, inner ear, and muscles. It can be caused by various forms of movement, such as traveling in a car, boat, or airplane, or by playing video games or virtual reality experiences. It can also be triggered by the smell of petrol while traveling. Symptoms of motion sickness include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, sweating, and fatigue.
How can I manage motion sickness?
There are several ways to manage motion sickness and reduce its symptoms. Here are seven unique approaches you can try:
- GingerGinger has been the favorite natural remedy for nausea and vomiting right from time. It can be taken in various forms, such as ginger tea, ginger candy, or ginger supplements. Some studies have found that ginger may be effective in reducing the severity of motion sickness.
- AcupressureAcupressure is an ancient Chinese healing technique that involves applying pressure to specific points on the body to relieve pain and other symptoms. There are several acupressure points on the body that are believed to help with motion sickness. One such point is the Pericardium 6, or P6, which is located on the inner wrist. To stimulate this point, simply press down on it with your thumb or a massage for a few minutes.
- AromatherapyAromatherapy involves using essential oils to promote healing and relaxation. Some essential oils, such as peppermint and ginger, may help reduce the symptoms of motion sickness. You can try using a diffuser to disperse the oils into the air or apply a few drops to a tissue and inhale the scent.
- Virtual reality Virtual reality (VR) technology can be used to desensitize people to the types of movements that cause motion sickness. By gradually exposing the person to the movements in a virtual environment, their body can become accustomed to the sensations and may be less likely to experience motion sickness in real life.
- DistractionDistracting yourself from the sensation of motion can help reduce the symptoms of motion sickness. For example, you can try listening to music, reading a book, reclining back on your seat, or watching a movie to take your mind off the motion
- Medication In severe cases of motion sickness, medication may be necessary to manage the symptoms. There are several medications available over the counter or by prescription that can help alleviate motion sickness. However, it’s important to talk to a doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication, as some may have side effects or interact with other medications you are taking.
What are the symptoms of Motion sickness?
Some of the symptoms of motion sickness include:
- Dizziness or fatigue
- Palpitations of the heart
- Cold sweats
- Secretion of excess saliva
How long does motion sickness last?
Motion sickness is a temporary condition that naturally resolves on its own within a few hours or days. The duration may vary from person to person depending on how severe the symptoms are and the cause of the motion sickness. Some individuals may experience mild symptoms which go away fast, while others may experience more severe symptoms
Motion sickness is a common and often unpleasant condition that can be caused by various forms of movement. While there is no surefire way to prevent it, there are several ways to manage motion sickness and its symptoms. These include ginger, acupressure, aromatherapy, virtual reality, distraction, and medication.
It’s always a good idea to talk to a doctor or pharmacist before trying any new treatment, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, or have a pre-existing medical condition. At our health care facility, experts are readily available to guide you on the best health approach to take
Please follow and like us: