6 Unpopular Facts about Acne You Should Know
Acne is a popular skin condition that affects mostly teenagers and adults. In fact, it is so common that most people do not bother to visit the health center to treat it. Acne is formed on the skin when dead skin cells, sebum (an oily liquid secreted by the oil glands that live under the skin), and hair clog to form some sort of plug. This plug causes swelling around that skin surface when it gets infected by bacteria and results in the appearance of pimples on the face.
Despite how widespread the condition is, there are still a lot of misinformation flying around about acne. Here are six unpopular facts you should know:
- Stress doesn’t cause acne: Many people believe that stress can lead to, or at least, significantly contribute to the formation of acne on the skin. Well, the truth is that there has been no conclusive study showing any positive correlation between stress levels and acne formation.
- Acne doesn’t only affect teenagers: Most people are not aware that acne affects anyone regardless of age. Although the condition affects teens the most (85% of teenagers have some form of acne), this still doesn’t excuse the fact that about 30% of adults also get acne.
- Makeup can cause acne: Applying makeup can cause the pores on your skin to clog and lead to the accumulation of sebum, dead skin cells, and hair follicles, resulting in acne. This is even more so for makeup products with mineral content.
- Eating greasy food doesn’t increase your chances of developing acne: This is a popular myth we are happy to debunk for you. There has been no significant study showing any positive correlation between eating junk foods and developing acne. We’re not giving you the green light to stuff yourself full of those French fries, chocolate and all other junk foods — eat healthily.
- There is tangible evidence that a specific substance extracted from teas like green tea can significantly help in reducing the production of sebum under your skin. This substance is referred to as polyphenol and is present in most teas.
- While greasy foods do not cause acne, there have been some studies showing that dairy products can trigger an acne outbreak. Most of the modern dairy products are gotten from animals (cows) that have had hormones inserted into their diet and bodies. While these hormones usually make these cows produce more milk, they might also have the secondary effect of causing minor disturbances to the hormones in your body system. These disturbances are what might lead to acne formation from ingesting these dairy products.
Finally, do not fall for the common notion that you can just leave your acne untreated and it would go away by itself. Acne can sometimes last for a long time and cause a lot of discomfort and pain for you. The good news is that treatment for the condition is readily available at any community care clinic around you. Even better, you can reach out to us here immediately to help you find the most optimal solution to your acne problem!
Please follow and like us:
Tags: acne, acne myths, allergy